A New Chapter



photo by Angela Marie Morton

When 2026 began, I knew it would bring changes to specific areas of my life, though I did not know exactly how, or when, it would all play out. I am currently in the midst of a new chapter, and I am doing my best to strike a balance between taking necessary and rightful actions, and letting go of worrying over aspects that are out of my control. Taking one day at a time, and not projecting too far ahead, or clinging to the past, have been helpful navigation tools.

Fall has always been my favorite time of year, and I am finding the changing of the seasons particularly poignant this year, as I am also in a time of transition. Because I have been feeling scattered, I had a hard time writing this month’s post, but I remembered my intention when I first began this blog: to write one post a month, no matter what else was going on. 

While September put that intention to the test, I was determined to follow through with the goal I had set for myself, even if no one but me knew or cared. If there is anything I have learned through my art and illustration (and writing) practice, it is that commitment, possibly more than anything else, is essential, if you want to pursue, or maintain, a creative element in your life. Make. The. Time. No one will force you to do it - it has to come from inside yourself. 

So, if you are in a period of flux, doubt, or uncertainty, remember that there are many others who are going through something similar, right alongside you. And, if you are currently blessed with stability and security, I would gently encourage you to be mindful that people you come across in your everyday life - the grocery store employee, the person walking past you on the sidewalk, the driver who cuts you off in traffic - may be going through a stressful time, even if they appear “fine” outwardly. We all need a bit of space and grace now and again, and I believe that we are all better off if we help to lift each other up, in whatever way we can. Kindness and compassion on individual levels are essential if we are to maintain our collective humanity.


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Cheap Chickpea Burgers

Five Favorite Children's Books

Hello and Welcome