Metaphysical Fiction Recommendations

These days, I tend primarily to read nonfiction, though I am always on the hunt for a good work of fiction, especially one that has a certain indescribable, mystical or metaphysical element to it. The four books below all have that quality, and I have enjoyed rereading them over the years. If you are looking for some unusual reads, I highly recommend the following titles:


The Magician, by W. Somerset Maugham (published in the U.K., 1908; U.S. publication, 1909)

I am a bit biased, as Maugham is my favorite author, but this book is a divergence from his other works. It is quite dark, verging on what some would call “Gothic horror.”

The story takes place in both Paris and England in the early 1900s. A newly engaged, boringly pedestrian, and financially comfortable couple, Arthur and Margaret are introduced by a friend to Oliver Haddo, a pretentious, arrogant occultist. Things take an uncomfortable and sinister turn when Oliver uses his hypnotic powers to seduce and corrupt Margaret, as revenge for being beaten in a brawl with Arthur.

Haddo is based on Maugham’s impressions of Aleister Crowley, whom he had met and thoroughly disliked. Haddo is dead creepy, and utterly loathsome, though does appear to possess some sort of otherworldly powers.

Suggested further reading by Maugham: The Moon and Sixpence (published 1919).

 

The Man Who Was Thursday, by G.K. Chesterton (published, 1908)

I loved this book when I first read it about 25 years ago, and have never read anything quite like it. I find Chesterton a fascinating and quirky figure, though some of his writing can feel a bit inaccessible at times. While I tend to favor his nonfiction writings, this is my favorite of his fictional works.

This allegorical and surreal story kept me glued to the pages. Without giving too much away, the plot centers around an anarchist group based in London during the Edwardian period. A Scotland Yard policeman (Gabriel Syme) goes undercover as an infiltrator, and gets tapped to be on the council, which is headed by the figure known as “Sunday.” (The council members are named for the days of the week, and Syme is dubbed “Thursday.”) Ultimately, he discovers that the majority of the council members are fellow infiltrators, and have all been recruited by Sunday, whose true identity and nature are mysterious and unknown.

If you are up for a bit of a longer read, this dark, moody, mystery-thriller is not to be missed.

Suggested further reading by Chesterton: Orthodoxy (published 1908).


Peter Ibbetson, by George Du Maurier (published 1891)

My husband put me onto this book, as he remembered liking it when he read it many years ago, and thought I would as well. I had never heard of it, though I had read other works of Du Maurier, so I knew I was in for a good one, and was not disappointed.

Peter and Mary are childhood friends living an idyllic life in France. The two develop a close, spiritual bond that proves unbreakable when Peter is suddenly left orphaned and forced to live with a brutish uncle who is cruel and abusive. While serving time in prison for the killing of said uncle, Peter and Mary “reunite” regularly using a secret method that is only accessible to the two of them, and what is described as “true dreaming.” 

This concept may be familiar to anyone who has read Autobiography of a Yogi, or any literature that references the phenomenon called “astral projection.” Whether or not you believe it is possible, Du Maurier was ahead of his time in incorporating it into this truly unique work of fiction.

Suggested further reading by Du Maurier: Trilby (published 1894).


Stranger at Killnock, by Leonard Wibberley (published 1961)

This is another one that my husband suggested to me, and it has become one of my favorite books, as well as a treasured part of my library. I love all my books, of course, but Stranger at Killnock is a particularly special one. It is short, and could easily be read in a couple of sittings, especially as if you are like me and are unable to put it down.

It is set in a small Irish fishing village, with a blend of villagers who are either staunch Catholics or inclined towards Celtic myth and lore. Everyone’s life in the tiny town is touched by the stranger who suddenly appears and begins performing healings and miracles, such as making an old woman young again. The identity of the mysterious man? You will need to read the book, my friends.

Suggested further reading by Leonard Wibberley: The Mouse that Roared (published 1955).


Each of these books have had a lasting impact on me, and I wanted to share them with all the fellow bibliophiles out there who are looking for titles to add to their ever-growning TBR list. I do hope you give one or all of them a try, and that they are enjoyable reads for you as well.


Popular posts from this blog

Five Favorite Children's Books

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Everyday Bread

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Cheap Chickpea Burgers