Working with What You Have




Minimalist Pencil Cup
Pen and watercolor pencils

I am a believer in, and an advocate of, working with what you have, in all aspects of life. It builds character, keeps you humble, exercises your critical thinking ability, saves money and resources, and challenges the status quo. Especially now, with nearly everything available in an instant, by click, tap, or shout (“Alexa, toilet paper!”), and no doubt very soon by mere thought, resisting the urge to acquire is a powerful and subversive act.

My financial circumstances necessitate the practice of minimalism when it comes to art supplies. Sometimes it can be a little frustrating, but more often than not, I actually prefer the challenge of constraints imposed on my work. I suspect the same principle was at play when I was in college, and performed better under pressure and a quick deadline, than I did when I had an entire term to complete a project. While I am definitely not a procrastinator, having some sort of structure and limitations, even self-imposed, works well for me.

I have been fortunate to have many of my art supplies gifted to me (thanks, Mom!), though I have made a few, carefully chosen, purchases. With both gifted supplies, and items I buy with household money, I am deliberate, selective, and intentional, so that nothing is wasted and everything has a specific purpose. My needs are simple, which is fortunate, as some artistic mediums require mucho accoutrements.

Through a bit of trial and error, I have settled on my favored supplies, and know exactly what I need to buy as I use items up over time. Everything I have I use, so you’ll find no sad, dried up pens in my supply stash. There is something deeply satisfying in having fewer things, but using them to their fullest potential. 


   








 


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: An Introduction + Minimalist Everyday Bread Recipe

Nothing Special

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Cornbread