For the Love of Lettering



Hello Script
Pen and watercolor pencils

When I was in fifth grade, our teacher, in addition to teaching us origami, basic perspective drawing, and a few words of greeting in Japanese, taught us the art of calligraphy. I took to it instantly, and practiced on my own for fun. I loved everything about it, from the pens, (particularly the kind that has that little space in the middle of the tip, so there is a line of negative space through the wording) to the end result of beautifully written text. My mom gifted me a calligraphy set that year, and I stuck with it for quite awhile. I don't remember when or why I stopped, but eventually I did.

I enjoy doing line work and detailed illustrations, and a natural evolution of those techniques led me to explore hand lettering, which looks similar to calligraphy. I had done a bit on my own already but wanted to improve my skills, so I did a little research, and bought an instructional book. I practiced each style in the book, and did the exercises. It came fairly easy to me, and with diligent practice, I improved. While I no longer commit to doing it daily, before I do a hand lettered piece, I refresh my skills a few times before diving into the final work. Because I enjoy the process so much, regular practice is organic.

Calligraphy is its own unique art form, and one I have a deep appreciation for. The history and philosophy behind it, as well as the entire process, from making the ink, to the brush strokes, to the final result, is a spiritual exercise, as much as it is a creative expression. Hand lettering, while more superficial in the literal sense, takes skill, patience and practice. While it may not have the depth calligraphy has, the end result is beautiful, and is also its own art form.

When I am doing hand lettering, I am right back to my 10-year-old self, practicing calligraphy. I would do the same letter over and over again, trying to get it to come out just right. I get just as much out of the hand lettering process as an adult as I did with calligraphy as a kid, perhaps more. Part of it almost feels therapeutic, which is not something I felt (or needed) as a child, but definitely appreciate the benefits of now.

One of my favorite things to do is to combine illustration and hand lettering. The first finished piece I did was a “thank you” note design. When I looked at it, something clicked, and I felt like I might be on to something. When I showed it to both my mom and husband (they always give me their objective opinions, and offer critiques and feedback, which is appreciated), they both said, “I think you found your niche.” I think so too.


  



  


 


   


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: An Introduction + Minimalist Everyday Bread Recipe

Nothing Special

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Cornbread