So Long, 2022



Bare Branches
Photo by Angela Marie Morton

With year’s end approaching, I recently spent a bit of time reviewing my 2022 goals and areas of focus I had jotted down at around this time last year. Every month or so, I looked at my list to see if I had forgotten something, and crossed off any actionable task I had completed (so satisfying). 

My list had several items on it, a few of which were specific projects, and the rest were reminders of what I wanted to focus on over the course of the year, to help keep me on track. I am good at structuring my time, and am definitely no procrastinator, but I have a tendency to feel overwhelmed when I lack a clear goal or focus, so having something to refer to helps immensely.

A couple specific tasks I had on my list were: 

○ Start a blog

○ Research illustration agencies

An example of a more abstract item on my list was:

○ Continue developing my styles

Reviewing my full list, I found I had accomplished everything on it and, in some cases, did better than anticipated. I have already written down several ideas for next year, and am looking forward to brainstorming and creating a list in the coming weeks.

My version of goal and intention setting is not hugely ambitious. I am not a competitive person, even just with myself, but I find fulfillment in being productive, and like to feel good about the work I am doing. For example, I would not write a goal of, “Get a card company to accept at least one design.” That is not something I can control, and if I failed to meet it, I would feel defeated. A goal needs to be a realistic challenge, and something that I can hold myself completely accountable for. Using the card company example, my goal would be, “research suitable companies, submit designs at least quarterly, to one or two.” It is specific, actionable, and flexible, with enough of a challenge to require real effort, and is not dependent on any external force.

For me, this time of year outside is chaotic and cold, so I like to use it as an opportunity to turn inward, both spiritually and physically, and consciously slow down to take time for reflection. With that, I’ll say so long to 2022. It’s been a year.

   


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: An Introduction + Minimalist Everyday Bread Recipe

Nothing Special

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Cornbread