Style


Minimalist Color Palette
Pen and watercolor pencils

Style: distinction, excellence, originality, and character in any form of artistic or literary expression

- Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College Edition

The above definition of the word “style” is one of many, and I felt that it was the one most suited to the topic of creativity in general and, for the purpose of this writing, art in particular.

Being a self-taught artist, without industry connections or training in the field, requires me to be entirely self-driven in seeking out knowledge and information about the business, specifically illustration in my case. Luckily, my college experience provided me with the research skills needed to dive into the overwhelming sea of material available. I have learned quite a bit, some of which is objective (what an illustration agency does, licensing information, how to find and contact potential clients, and industry terminology, for example), but much of what I have gleaned is subjective (what you “should” have in your portfolio, what is “good”, and what is “marketable”). One of the topics that comes up over and over again is “style”. 

Some people stick unequivocally by their definition of the term, without exception, while others cringe at the very word, and avoid using it altogether. Some view it as a useful signature for your work, while others see it as too confining and restricting. And what is “it” they are talking about, anyway? That depends on who you ask, or what you read. Because the word means different things to different people, and seems to be a somewhat loaded phrase in the illustration field, it makes it difficult to know how to use it, and also how to apply it in regards to my work. Perhaps it is my sociology and psychology background, but I find the conversation and debate around this topic fascinating, to the point that it has transcended my initial frustration when trying to educate myself on the subject.

I acknowledge that, on a practical level, it can be maddening when trying to determine industry preferences or guidelines, in regards to style. When I was researching how to build a portfolio, I found that some people in the field categorically state that an artist needs to have a distinct style, needs to have a portfolio that demonstrates that one style consistently, and not to deviate from it. Others say you should have several styles, develop each one, and include them in your portfolio. (Here is where I invited you to picture me wildly flailing my arms, Kermit The Frog style.) 

It can be frustrating and confusing to hear such conflicting opinions and information about the term, especially when you are learning, and it is impossible to take any advice around it as rule, or standard practice. However, for me, despite the disappointment in not having a “rulebook” as a guide, it has been a learning experience to see such variety in how people use the term.

Overthinking leads to indecision, at least it does for me, in regards to the whole question of style, and how to apply it to art and illustration. By combining instinct with acquired knowledge, I attempt to present myself, and my work, in a simple, straightforward manner, that best represents what I can do. I hope I have succeeded.     




  


      


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: An Introduction + Minimalist Everyday Bread Recipe

Nothing Special

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Cornbread