Hello Spring



Tulips in the Neighborhood
photo by Angela Marie Morton

Springtime is a time of rejuvenation, and is the perfect season for a reset. Signs of renewal and rebirth are everywhere, serving as gentle and encouraging reminders of the cyclical nature of life. It is a time to open the windows and let the fresh air in, and to change the sheets from flannel to linen. I love getting organized and refreshing spaces, both mental and physical.

While I appreciate and enjoy the cleansing and joyful feeling the spring season brings, I can’t help but associate this time of year with two events that have had a huge impact on my life: WHO’s declaration of the Covid-19 pandemic which had, and continues to have, a devastating effect on my life and the lives of so many around the globe, and the death of a loved one, eighteen years ago this year.

And, of course, there is Easter. The story of Easter is one of the most compelling of all time. Our household acknowledges Holy Week by listening to Gregorian chants, classical music with an Easter or religious theme, and watching films relating to Christianity or Easter. During this season, I also read a few books on Christian spirituality, and focus my daily meditation on Christian practices.  

As for my art and illustration work during the spring, there are a few things I like to do, aside from creating art itself: revisit my list of companies and agencies I plan on submitting work to, research any additional places I can reach out to, and freshen up my portfolio.

The art I create at this time of year tends to have a spring vibe to it, with a color palette of yellows, greens, and pinks. I recently designed an Easter card, as well as a spring-themed card, and have ideas for several more designs that are suited to the season, which I hope to create in the coming weeks. 

I update my portfolio throughout the year as I continue to create new works, and I do a thorough revamp twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. I take time to curate each section and make any necessary aesthetic changes to the layout. Once that has been done, maintaining it regularly is simple. I recently finished my spring portfolio revamp and crossed it off my list, which felt great.

As I write this, it is decidedly un-spring-like here in the Pacific Northwest. I am wearing a cozy sweater, and have a blanket wrapped around me while I sip hot tea and watch the rain hit my balcony. But, I know that in the coming days it will warm up (at least enough to discard the blanket), and signs of life will be everywhere on my daily neighborhood walks. The inherent optimism of spring is undeniable, even on the darkest of days. 




   


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: An Introduction + Minimalist Everyday Bread Recipe

Nothing Special

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Cornbread