A Simple and Minimal Skincare Routine




With the changing of the season from spring to summer, I decided to change things up for this month’s blog post, too. While I enjoy the challenge of tying most of my writings into the broad theme of art and creativity, part of being creative is to branch out of your comfort zone on occasion. Welcome to June’s blog post, which covers how I keep my daily skincare routine simple, natural(ish), inexpensive, and minimal. 

Yes, the subject is a tad fluffy, but sometimes it’s fun to indulge in a bit of fluff. I am not an expert in the field of dermatology, and this post is not sponsored. And, of course, everyone’s skin needs are different, so what works for me might not work for someone else. However, as a 40...<mumble mumble> year-old woman, after having tried various products over the years, I have concluded that, for me, less is best. 

While I was fortunate enough to not have an acne problem in my teen years, I do have a history of other skin issues, and have experimented with numerous products over the decades, from medicated creams to natural deodorants. Better living through chemistry has its benefits when it comes to products to treat specific skin conditions, as I can attest to from my own experiences, but for my everyday skincare routine, I keep it as natural as possible given my budget, preference, and needs.

Admittedly, I am a bit….crunchy…..,and tend to go for natural products in all areas of my life whenever possible, from skincare to clothes, to maintaining a vegan diet. My husband and I have an *extremely* tight budget, so I am a minimalist by necessity as well as by choice, which influences all my purchasing decisions, including skincare products. If it smells good, or comes in nice packaging, that’s (vegan) gravy, but definitely not what I look for when deciding what to put on my skin.

So, what do I, a practical and frugal, hippie minimalist, use on my skin on the regular? Not much.


Body

Soap: Dove beauty bar. I have sensitive skin and have found this brand works well for me. The soap is hydrating, gentle, and cleansing. At the moment I am using the shea butter bar, though I have used several Dove beauty bars and have been satisfied with all of them. I also appreciate the minimal, recyclable packaging Dove uses for its bar soap.

Moisturizer: LouAna Coconut Oil. I have tried various lotions and oils, and have recently settled on just plain coconut oil, straight out of the jar. I have used one brand so far, and only tried this particular one because, frankly, it was the cheapest. Besides being effective, I know exactly what is in it, and it is completely natural, which are all major points in its favor. The jar is plastic, but it is recyclable, which is also a win. And, no, it does not smell like coconut.


Nails

Burt’s Bees Cuticle Cream. I use this a few times a week, and have done so for at least a decade. The tin is small, but you don’t need much and it lasts for ages. I tend to repurpose the empty tin for tiny items, so it gets up-cycled.


Face (Daytime)

Suncreen and Moisturizer: CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 30: I have used a few face lotions with broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher and, while there was a specific one I used for years and consider my favorite, this one is more cost effective, and easily available at our weekly grocery curbside pickup. So, I have said goodbye to my old favorite <sniff sniff>, and have been content with this one for the past few years. The bottle is recyclable, as is the box it comes in.

Lips: Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm: I have used this product for at least the last 15 years and I still love it. I have tried other chapsticks and lip balms, and even other Burt’s Bees lip products, but this one is the one for me.


Face (Nighttime)

Cleanser: Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar: This was recommended to me many years ago by a dermatologist, and I have been using it ever since. It works well for my sensitive skin, and makes my face feel clean but not dry and tight. The cardboard box packaging is recyclable, though the bar is wrapped in plastic. It is a *little* pricey, but the bars are big and last for months since I only use it once a day, and only on my face.

MoisturizerGrapeseed Oil: Yup, just the plain kitchen staple. It is found in many facial skincare products and,  after doing some research, I decided to try it straight, thinking that if it didn’t work out I would just use it for cooking and baking. Luckily, it’s been a practical and beneficial facial oil so, while I do occasionally use it in the kitchen, I primarily use it on my face. I decant the oil from the large bottle into a smaller amber glass bottle with an eyedropper top. The large bottle is recyclable, which is also a nice bonus.

I don’t wear make-up, nor do I give myself facials, use body scrubs, etc. I do use a dry brush several times a week before showering, which is a sustainable natural exfoliant option, as the brush lasts forever. I purchased mine many years ago from The Body Shop and it still feels brand new. Its natural bristles and wooden handle makes it feel and look fancy, though it was relatively inexpensive.

In my fantasy life, I would be using 100% vegan, natural, small batch, sustainable, ethical, fair trade, locally made, zero waste skincare products. However, it is not within my means to have all of my purchases meet those standards, so I simply do what I can with the resources that I have. 

I hope this post was a fun read, and was an enjoyable change of pace from the usual topic of art and creativity. Happy start of summer, all.  





                


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: An Introduction + Minimalist Everyday Bread Recipe

Nothing Special

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Cornbread