Art Supplies!




If, like me, you enjoy nerding out on all things art supplies. this post is for you. It is  all about the materials I have on constant rotation for my art, illustration, and hand lettering work.  

I do research before making a purchase, so I do not accumulate masses of art supplies that will ultimately go unused. By doing my homework and being mindful, I ensure that I only bring in what I need. While I take a minimalist approach, both by choice and necessity, the limitations have encouraged me to be more creative, and to use up what I have before buying more. 

So, fellow art supply lovers, here are my tried and true go-tos (this post is not sponsored):


Paper 

I use both watercolor paper and drawing paper. To get the most bang for my buck, I buy 9x12 pads and cut the sheets to the sizes I typically use, which are 5x5, 4x6, and 5x7. Occasionally I use the full 9x12 size, though 5x7 is my preferred size. 

Drawing: Canson Recycled Drawing Paper, 70lb. To be honest, this is not my favorite, but it works fine. I have found, through trial and error, that I prefer their regular, as opposed to the recycled drawing paper, and I plan to go back to that next time I restock.

Watercolor: Canson Watercolor, 140 lb. This is a great, budget-friendly option, and I have been using it for years. That being said, there are a few other types I’d like to try, just for comparison (see below).

Watercolor (yet to be tried): Baohong Academy Watercolor Paper Pads, Size 5x7, both Cold-Press and Hot-Press. I recently acquired these two packs, and I am looking forward to using them in the near future. I had been wanting to experiment with different paper textures, and this brand kept coming up as a good one, so I have high expectations for it.


Erasers

Tombow Mono Zero Elastomer (refillable). I had been using a chunky white block eraser for everything, but to erase tiny, fine lines, I knew a thin eraser was in order. I found this gem online and it has been AMAZING. I still use the large eraser, but much of my work requires the use of the thin Tombow. I love that it is refillable as well. It is an inexpensive, yet invaluable tool.


Pens 

There are TONS of options, and I know I have only scratched the surface of the pen world. I have experimented with a few different brands, and played around with various sizes, finally settling on what I am currently using. There are many other pens I would love to get my hands on to test out, but I am quite content with my current selection. 

Morfone Calligraphy Pens, Set of 10. These were inexpensive but it is a decent mix of different sizes and types of tips. I do not use these for finished pieces, but they are ideal for practicing hand lettering and working out design ideas. If you are still trying to find tip points and sizes that work for you, this set is a very practical option to test out many different thicknesses and styles.

Sakura Pigma Micron Pens, Sizes 005 - 08. (I also have a thick size 1, which is about the size of a Sharpie). These are what I use for my drawings and hand lettering, unless I am using a brush pen (which I will get to in a minute). They are archival ink, which means they are waterproof and do not fade, so they are perfect for using with watercolor pencils, or any watercolors. I often do light pencil outlines and go over them in pen, and the ink does not smudge when I rub an eraser over the lines to remove any visible pencil marks. Some of my work is small and detailed, and the fine tips of the 005 and 01 sizes are great for that sort delicate work. Pricewise, I would categorize these as mid-range. They can be purchased in various types of sets, and are also sold individually.

Sakura Pigma Micron Colored Pens, Size 05, Set of 12. These are great for hand lettering, and for drawing. For some reason, I tend not to use these as much as my other supplies, but I am always pleased with the results when I do put them to work. They are available in various sets and sizes. The set I have has all the basic colors, including black.   

Sakura Pigma Brush Pens (sometimes referred to as markers). These come in numerous colors, and can be found in sets or purchased individually. I have black, red, and two shades of gray. These pens get A LOT of use, as I use them for my “Zen” drawings, as well as certain types of lettering, and watercolor drawings. Of all my supplies, these are probably my favorite and most used, as they are so versatile. They do seem to dry up faster than my other Microns, but that could be due to the amount of use they get. The tips wear out over time as well, and tend to split which is frustrating, especially if there is still plenty of ink left. However, when they are no longer serviceable for finished pieces, they still work great as practice pens. Knowing that they are prone to splitting and wearing out, I try to take care when I use them, but because I rely on them for much of my work, I go through them quicker than any other pen.   

     

Pencils

Drawing Pencils: Staedtler HB. I use this pencil for everything, from sketching to final drawings, as well as for shading. As with pens, there are a plethora of pencil options out there, which I find both cool, and overwhelming. While I would like to try out a few specific ones, I am happy using my tried and true Staedtler HB. They are inexpensive, and the pack of 12 I have will last me years. 

Colored Pencils: Timeless Creations, Set of 36. I bought these at the start of the pandemic, when I was still feeling my way around rediscovering art, and I am still using them almost 4 years later. They are definitely considered “budget”, both in terms of price and quality, but they suit my purposes just fine. While I would enjoy investing in an upgraded set, I have no problem using inexpensive tools if they work well for me. These pencils give a dreamy, soft, fuzzy, textured look to my drawings, which is perfect for my character illustrations (especially the foxes).   


Watercolors

Watercolor Pencils: Arteza, Expert, 72 Colors. I have limited experience with watercolor pencils, as the only other set I have owned was a set of 12 that was gifted to me by an old friend many years ago. This Arteza set has been perfect for my needs, and the price was reasonable. They are not the cheapest watercolor pencils on the market, though there are far more expensive ones that are probably technically “better”. While I would appreciate an opportunity to try out different brands and types, these have served me well for the past couple of years.

Chinese Watercolors: Yasutomo Authentic Chinese Watercolors, Set of 12 (tubes). I love these watercolors. I did not have much experience with watercolors, Chinese or otherwise, so I did fairly extensive research before settling on this set. The colors are gorgeous and vibrant, and mixing them to get endless combinations is so much fun. They were not expensive, and a little goes a long way.

Sumi-e Ink: Yasutomo Black Sumi-e Ink. This little bottle will last for ages, and I am very pleased with this purchase. The ink is jet black, though you can dilute it with water, or mix it with white watercolor paint to get different gray shades. As with the Chinese watercolors, you don’t need to use much.


Brushes

Water Brush: Kuretake Water Brush (size unknown). I bought this about 15 years ago, long before I did the sort of art I do now, and I had no idea until recently that they came in different sizes. I would love to add a finer one to my toolkit at some point, but this trusty brush has really stood the test of time. I use it with my watercolor pencils, and it is perfect for fine, delicate, detail work. It is easy to refill, and easy to squeeze out the amount of water you need. It’s a great, inexpensive tool for anyone who uses watercolor pencils.

Watercolor Brush: Princeton Round Brush, Size 6. This is another tool I purchased a long time ago, before I began doing art seriously. Despite not doing any research, it turns out that this brush is perfect for my needs, and works fabulously with the Chinese watercolors. Again, adding a finer one to my collection is something I am hoping to do in the near future.

Sumi-e Brushes:

Yasutomo All Purpose, Size SW 0

Yasutomo All Purpose, Size SW 2

Yasutomo All Purpose, Size SW 4

I knew I wanted traditional sumi-e brushes, but I was not familiar enough with them to know which ones would be best for my needs. After comparing various options online, I sprung for these, and am so glad I did. These brushes are quite different from the Princeton Round Brush, and I love the texture they give to my watercolor pieces. They can also be used for calligraphy, and, of course, traditional sumi-e art. I am still experimenting with them, but I know they will get a lot of use in the years to come.


So, those are all the tools and materials I use. I do not have a studio, or a dedicated space to have my materials out and at the ready, so by having just the essentials and keeping things simple, I can easily store everything away when not in use. I hope this little peek into my supply cupboard was fun, and maybe even helpful, if you are looking at options for your art supply collection.      

     

  


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: An Introduction + Minimalist Everyday Bread Recipe

Nothing Special

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Cornbread