Memories and Musings of a Bibliophile Artist



Reading has always been a major part of my life. Since I began pursuing art and illustration full time, I have seen the impact a lifetime of reading has on my creativity, in both the process and the results. From Beatrix Potter, to D.T. Suzuki, and everyone in between, they are all represented in my work in some way. 

My mom and grandma taught me to read before I began kindergarten, with books they bought, as well as books gifted by my aunt, who was a teacher and school librarian. Sadly, going to the local public library was like trying to find Brigadoon, or Shangri-La; it was the 1980s in California, and funding for libraries was virtually nonexistent. I enjoyed going to the library, but because it was nearly impossible to access consistently, it was mostly used as a resource for dreaded school reports when I was in grade school and junior high, rather than for pleasure. Because availability to the library was unreliable and limited, my mom would take me on regular visits to the local bookstore, where I would pick out a stack of books to tide me over until the next trip. 

My elementary school participated in the Scholastic bookfairs, which I always looked forward to. The school provided catalogs of the titles that would be available, so parents would know how much money to send their kids to school with on the day of the book fair. I have fond memories of pouring over those catalogs, circling all the books I wanted to buy.

When I was just out of high school as a 17-year-old, I scored a job at a chain bookstore, and worked in (and eventually ran) the Children’s Department. I continued to work with books for the next two decades, including a brief stint at a publishing company in Berkeley, California. That early bookstore experience gave me the foundation I needed to eventually land a job at another bookstore (an independent one this time) when I moved from my native California to a different state, which was where I stayed and thrived for the next 18 years, until I was laid off at the start of the pandemic in March of 2020.    

I value and appreciate the more than 20 combined years I spent working in the book industry. After being away from it for the past several years, I realized that reading transcends jobs, careers, and life changes, and remains a constant in my life, regardless of my situation. Now in my 40s, having made a commitment to pursue art and illustration, it is clear to me that reading has been the biggest influence on my work. It is tangible evidence of how much my psyche absorbed all those years, and continues to absorb, as I am still an avid reader.

Even if you are not a reader, I hope this little peek into my history, as well as what inspires my art, has been of some interest. Context around creative work enhances it, and builds valuable connections between the artist and the observer. Knowing the “why” broadens your outlook, and might encourage you to seek out information about a subject you would not have otherwise known about. It provides you with insight into an artist and their work, and possibly inspires you to follow their progress, or even to invite an offering of theirs into your collection. It could even motivate you to start your own art journey, creating works infused with your own stories and inspirations.

Thank you for taking a few minutes to stop by and read this brief reflection and observation. I hope you enjoyed it, and that it took you out of the busyness of your day, if only momentarily. I’ve been alternating between recipes and essays every other month this year, so June’s post will be a recipe. If that’s your jam, pop back next month!


  










 












 






















 




 








  







 






 











 


 




  


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: An Introduction + Minimalist Everyday Bread Recipe

Nothing Special

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Cornbread