My Three Favorite Books



A small section of one of my bookcases

Books. Titles. Authors. Genres. Series. Hardcover. Paperback. Short stories. Novels. Memoirs. Biographies. Contemporary. Classics. Fiction, Nonfiction. It can be overwhelming to decide which book to read (or which books, if you are someone who reads more than one at a time). If you are having trouble deciding what to read next, or where to start if you are new to the world of books, you might want to consider one (or all) of these books. In an effort to keep things focused, I have limited myself to just three of my favorite books. Each of them, in their own way, had a profound and lasting impact on me. There have been many books (and authors) that have stayed with me for one reason or another, and I will include those in future posts, but to start, I wanted to showcase my three favorites.

  • The Razor's Edge, by W. Somerset Maugham. Published in 1944.

My beloved hardcover of 'The Razor's Edge"

“He is too modest to set himself up as an example to others; but it may be he thinks that a few uncertain souls, drawn to him like moths to a candle, will be brought in time to share his own glowing belief that ultimate satisfaction can only be found in the life of the spirit, and that by himself following with selflessness and renunciation the path of perfection he will serve as well as if he wrote books or address multitudes."

The front cover of the same book as above

Before it was trendy, Maugham’s earnest Englishman, Larry Darrell. traveled the world, even staying in an ashram in India for a stint, in his quest to find a purpose to life, after serving in WWI and witnessing the death of a friend in battle. No longer satisfied with the upper class life he led with his fiance before the war, he goes out in search for authenticity and meaning, convinced that there must be more to life than just money, status and comfort.

The Razor's Edge was the first of Maugham’s books that I read, and it had such an impact on me that I went on to read everything he wrote, from novels, to plays, to nonfiction, to short stories. A future post may well be all about Maugham and his works.

The movie adaptation from 1946, which starred Tyrone Power and Gene Tierney, is well worth watching. After you read the book, of course.

  • Harold and Maude, by Colin Higgins. Published in 1971.

My first edition hardcover copy of "Harold and Maude"

“ ‘How about you, Harold? What flower would you like to be?’

Harold rubbed his nose. ‘I don’t know,’ he said. ‘I’m just an ordinary person.’ He gestured out at a field of daisies that ran all the way to the hills. ‘Maybe one of those.’

‘Why do you say that?’ asked Maude, a little perturbed.

‘I guess,’ he answered softy, ‘because they are all the same.’


‘Oh, but they’re not! Look here.’ She guided him over to a clump of daisies.

‘See? Some are smaller, some are fatter, some grow to the left, some to the right, some even have petals missing -- all sorts of observable differences, and we haven’t even touched the biochemical. It’s just like this daisy. Each person is different, never existed before, and never to exist again,’ She picked it. ‘An individual.’

She smiled and they both stood up.

‘Well,’ Harold said moodily ‘we may be individuals, all right. But,’ he added, glancing out at the field, ‘we have to grow up together.’

Maude looked at Harold, ‘That’s very true,’ she murmured. ‘Still, I believe that much of the world’s sorrow comes from people who know they are this’ -- she held the daisy in her hand -- ‘yet let themselves be treated as that.’

She blinked back the tears that were forming in her eyes and looked out over the thousands and thousands of daisies waving gently in the afternoon sun.”

Spine view of the same book as above

This could possibly be the most perfect book ever written. It is anti-establishment, darkly funny, serious, irreverent, poignant, and utterly unique. The two characters of Harold and Maude are irresistible. Maude is my role model, and I aspire to be like her when I reach old age.

In addition to writing the book, Colin Higgins also wrote the screenplay for the 1971 film, which starred Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon, both of whom thoroughly encapsulated the characters of Harold and Maude. And no better music could have suited it, than the songs of Cat Stevens.

The book was out of print for years, and I actually watched the movie before I read the book. I know people have strong feelings about reading the book first, or seeing the movie first. In the case of this particular story, either order you consume them is fine. Just consume them.

  • Lost Horizon, by James Hilton. Published in 1933.

Where my hardcover copy of "Lost Horizon" lives on the shelf

“Presently the ground leveled, and they stepped out of the mist into the clear, sunny air. Ahead, and only a short distance away, lay the lamasery of Shangri-La.”


Front cover of "Lost Horizon"

This is the book that introduced the world to the fabled, remote Himalayan valley of Shangri-La. Part spiritual journey, part adventure story, this is my favorite book of James Hilton’s. I initially set out to write a brief overview of the plot, but with every draft I realized that almost anything I said would give away something crucial. Part of why I love this book so much is how it unfolds, as the main character, Hugh Conway, discovers why and how he ended up at the lamasery. I want everyone to be able to have that experience. Just trust me that this book, with its realism, spiritual elements, and metaphysical undertones is powerful. It is also a well-crafted story and an engrossing read.

The 1937 Frank Capra film, starring Ronald Colman as Conway and Sam Jaffe as the High Lama, is also excellent. Interestingly, there are a few gaps in the film, where parts of the original footage had been lost. The soundtrack remained intact, and the still images that are used to fill in the sections of missing film only add to the mystique of the story.

So, those are my three favorite books. They are not complicated or intellectual. They are each relatively short, with straightforward narratives. Nevertheless, there is something special in each one that transcends basic literature, and puts them in a category of their own.


Popular posts from this blog

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: An Introduction + Minimalist Everyday Bread Recipe

Nothing Special

Series: A Capsule Kitchen: Minimalist Cornbread